Tax Tips September 2019
2018 Personal Income Tax Return
Are you self-employed, a landlord, a company director or in receipt of other income during 2018? If so, now is the time to prepare all the information to submit your 2018 Tax Return.
Your 2018 Personal Income Tax Return must be submitted to the Inspector of Taxes
by 31st October 2019. This Return is a statement of all your income and capital gains for the year ended 31st December 2018.
If you pay and file online using ROS the filing date is extended to 12th November 2019.
The following payments must also be made by 31st October 2019 (or 12th November 2019):
- Payment of any balance of Income Tax due for the 2018 tax year; and
- Payment of Preliminary Income Tax for the 2019 tax year.
By completing a Tax Return you may be in line for a Tax Refund if you have not claimed all your entitlements.
- Have you claimed all your medical and dental expenses?
- Have you claimed all your mortgage interest relief on your home and on your investment properties?
- Have you claimed credit for Tuition Fees paid to Third Level Colleges?
There are many other credits and allowances that you may be entitled to and you should consult with your tax adviser in relation to these.
Capital Gains Tax
Payment of any Capital Gains Tax due for capital gains made in the period 1st January 2019 to 30th November 2019 is payable by 15th December 2019.
Payment of any Capital Gains Tax due for capital gains made in December 2019 is payable by 31st January 2020.
Remember that Capital Losses made in previous years can be carried forward against Capital Gains made in future years.